Saturday, March 1, 2008

March Sycamore Tree

Dear Sycamore Family,

I have been in Japan now for over a month and so far it has been an amazing experience. I have been settling in to the house in which I will be living in for the next year and acclimating to the weather. Everyone at the Sendai Student Youth Center has been incredibly patient and kind while I’m learning the language and and getting used to life in Japan. Jeffrey and Kako Mensendiek have been especially helpful, showing me where to buy groceries and how to navigate downtown Sendai. The students have been my biggest resource with getting internet set up in my house and taking me to all the best places to eat.

As the school year is winding down for university students I’ve been attending classes held at the Student Center in the evenings and participating in their student council meetings as they’re preparing for the various end-of-school and graduation celebrations. I’ve also been visiting some of the local churches with center staff in order to get a better sense for the Christian community in Japan.

Both the local congregations and students have been interested in learning more about the Japanese-American community back in the U.S and I’ve had many opportunities to give presentations on Sycamore. I’ve been in contact with youth back at Sycamore and students here at the Student Center about a possible cultural exchange through video or e-mail so hopefully this dialogue will continue. If you or someone you know is interested in participating please contact me (Sandra K L T at yahoo dot com) or Minister-in-Training Corbin Davis (hip hop corbin at hotmail dot com).

I am learning a lot about Japanese history and culture as I am preparing to accompany a small group of students to Okinawa early this month to learn about issues of US militarization and sovereignty. I’m sure this will be a very educational experience since these are timely and somewhat sensitive topics.

I am excited to be representing Sycamore here in the Japan and I will continue to keep you updated. Thank you so much for your e-mails, for reading my blog, and continuing to support me in all of my activities.

SKLT

No comments: