Saturday, March 12, 2011

Letter to Friends & Family

Dear Friends & Family,

I know that you've probably heard by now about the devastating earthquakes and tsunamis off the coast of Sendai in northern Japan. It was one of the largest earthquakes they've ever recorded and the Japanese government still has no idea of the extent of the damage or how many people were injured, missing, or dead although you can probably find the current estimates on the news.

As you know, I returned to California last August after living in Sendai for over 2 years so fortunately I am safe with many friends and family nearby. But, my friends and co-workers back in Japan are constantly on my mind. Phone lines were down for about 2 days and cell phone reception is still a little weak in some areas but I was finally able to get through to some of my co-workers and many of my friends have e-mailed me from their cell phones once things had calmed down.

For the most part, everyone seems to be safe and are finding comfort in each other. Power and gas is out over most of the city in Sendai so many people have gathered together in their neighbors homes to stay warm since there is still snow on the ground. One of my co-workers, Shima-san, was actually out of the country when the tsunamis happened so I was glad to know that was why she hadn't been answering her phone. Jeffrey Mensendiek and his family is safe as are Miho Okoshi and her family. Both of them have gathered some neighbors and students from the Student/Youth Center in their homes through the cold nights.

I've also gotten news from a friend in Fukushima Prefecture, south of Sendai that they've begun evacuating homes after a nuclear power plant exploded yesterday. There are reports of fires in factories and plants in Chiba, Tochigi, and Miyagi Prefectures. Please keep these people in your thoughts and prayers as well.

I'll try to keep you all updated as I know more.

With Love and Hope,
Sandy




P.S. My church is collecting a special offering for Japan Disaster Relief – to be distributed through UCC’s Wider Church Ministries which will go to our partners in Japan including the Sendai Student/Youth Center where I was working. You may send a check payable to Sycamore Congregational Church– please note on the memo line - Japan earthquake/tsunami relief.
Sycamore Congregational Church
1111 Navellier St.
El Cerrito, CA 94530

No comments: